Monday, January 19, 2009

Too Long

Okay - so it has been a while. I think about blogging and then do something else, like play spider solitaire until I win. I am addicted.

Am I the only one who feels like she is so busy, but when asked what she has been doing she says, "Not much". Not because I am underplaying my life, but because I genuinely don't remember what I have been doing. I just know that I don't have time (or is it take the time) to do things like, clean, fold laundry, or go to the library with my children.

Oh, that reminds me, last week we did make it to the library. YEAH!! (I hadn't showered and didn't have a real bra on, but we made it. I left my coat and my stocking cap on.) So while we were there we signed up for the winter reading program. Fun, I know. There was an older lady there, who said, while I was standing there. "Isn't it sad that kids don't read just for fun anymore, you have to bribe them with trinkets and treats."

I stand there with the 3 books and 2 audio books with the book to follow along with that Michael just picked out, and we argued because he wanted more, thinking should I say "NOT MY KID - I could read to him all day and he would love it!!" Which would probably sound defensive and not true at all. Or should I say nothing and pretend not to hear her railing on the downward spin of society being blamed on lazy TV/video game crazed children whose parents use a box to occupy their children instead of challenging them with books.

I, shockingly, stayed quiet. Then she saw me and said "well, you know that isn't true of the mom's who would come to the library with their children." Forced smile, forced smile returned to you lady. Then it occurred to me, this is probably me in 30 years. I need to learn to shut up and not share every opinion just because it is in my head.

So this is a little random, I know. But so am I.

2 comments:

shainapearce.com said...

ha! I am not at all shocked that you kept quiet. *wink* I do however think that could be US in 30 years. Only, I'm not sure how much good it will do to train yourself to keep quiet now. It seemed like, with my grandma, the older she got the more of a license she gained to say whatever came into her head. While I don't want to become that, I'm not sure I can stop it....

Incidentally, I have never taken Cael to the library. And I like to waste my time on Facebook, instead of Solitaire. :-)

Michelle Burger said...

I have a whole bag of books for Michael set aside. I totally forgot to bring them to Mom and Dad's on Tuesday so they could bring them to him. Hopefully we will get them to you sooner rather than later!