Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dunkin' Mama

Does anyone else feel like the guy in the old commercial for Dunkin Donoughts?

He ran around busy with everything and every time he looked at the clock he said "Time to make the donoughts!" Well these days it is me, time to feed the baby, time to check the laundry, time to put him down for a nap, time to go to preschool, does the list go on and on.

No one told me, or I didn't listen, that I would have less time to accomplish my stuff as a stay at home mom than I ever had when I had a "real" job. I mean really what I should be able to get done in a day at home. At the end of my day I can't exactly look at something and say look that is done because I did it. Nothing ever seems to be really done. So now I have decided to stop looking at a list of tasks that never quite get done and make a new list. In the midst of eveything else, did I:
Play on the floor
Read more than one book
Sing and dance
Go to the library
Make pancakes
Snuggle
Eat lunch with my children
Pray with my children
Tell stories about the people they love
Explain things so they can understand

Maybe if I add the things I would like to do and actually do to my list it would feel like more was accomplished. And really isn't snuggling and talking with my children more important than making sure that my floors are always spotless? I hope so.

Time to love my life!!

3 comments:

Mouseymom said...

What a beautiful entry! its hard to feel accomplished when there is no end to the housework. I feel like a better mom since i read your post. I was a nanny for 4 years and my job was to take care of the boy! I wasn't responsible for hardly anything else. And I was off duty at 7:00pm. It is so different than being a mom and doing all the things that a mom and wife do. oh.. and did i mention that i got paid well! :)

shainapearce.com said...

I bet my mom says at least once a week: "Don't worry about the house - because some day they'll be all grown up and you'll have a clean house, but no babies left to play with."

It makes me wonder WHAT I did with myself before having kids? I can barely remember life Pre-baby, but I'm pretty sure I could work that version of myself into the ground now....

Megan Hulett said...

You are so sweet Beki. I was looking to see if Sarah wrote anything new and saw that you had a Blog. How exciting! I always read everyone else's blogs, but have yet to do it myself. Maybe someday I'll join. I enjoyed reading all of them. The pottying in the park was my favotie, I had to laugh out loud. He will love that someday. Isn't it funny to think how stuff like that makes us so mad, but later it's humorous. I feel your pain.
-Megan