Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Humbling

Sometimes children give us the best dose of humility and reality, better than Dr. Phil.  (I reference that man a lot, but don't know that I have watched a show of his - um - ever or not since he left the warm embrace of Oprah's show.)

Yesterday at lunch we were talking with Michael about being left handed.  Here is the conversation:
Curtis - You know Michael, if you love baseball and could pitch an 80 mph fast ball, you could play for the big leagues.
Michael - Like on TV?
Curtis - Yeah.  And you would make a lot of money too.  Then you could say thanks to your mom and dad by buying us cool stuff.  Like a big house, and I want a Dodge Charger (maybe I have the wrong car, but it was in the Dodge family and started with a C) and you know that your mom wants a Jaguar.
Me - It doesn't have to be new, just a convertible
Curtis - What do you think, wouldn't that be great.
Michael - I'm not doing that. 
Curtis - Really why?
Michael - You don't need that stuff.  I'll give my money to kids who need it.  Isn't that what we are supposed to do when we have extra?
Curtis - You're right, that would be better.

Love that boy.  Today he brought me a cap from I think a Spray N Wash bottle, filled with change he collected, and told me that we need to get to Wal-Mart and give it to those kids who need it, because there were a couple hundred dollars there and that could make kids like Shaelynn feel a lot better and not have to go to heaven before the grow up.  Now, you need to know that I don't have a couple hundred dollars in change around here, but if I did have some extra I would be taking it to Wal-Mart to donate in the Children's Miracle Network collector, to match the generous spirit of my son.

Why am I so selfish?  Seriously, a convertible Jag.  I would love that, but he is right there are kids out there who need help.  I guess I will be rolling in my Sienna for a while and praying that my son remains generous and continues to show me when I'm not. 

Thank God for matching us with the children who teach us to be better people.  I love being a mom :)  Back to matching socks.

No comments: