Monday, June 14, 2010

Adah is 2

June 14 2010, my Adah turned 2 today.  Oh, how quickly the last 2 years have passed. 

The day that she was born, was quite a day.  I was induced in the morning, I think it was around 8 am and I laid in the bed waiting for the arrival of this little person who had been making my butt ache for months and watching the news.  (Seriously, I had a sore butt for most of my pregnancy - no reason they could give me - I did jokingly say that the pain in my butt was a sign the baby was a girl.  But, I promised myself and Curtis that I would never be a mom to call my child a pain in the butt since before their birth - no one wants to have that running through their head for life - Good grief, you can't please that woman, I was a huge problem for her before I was even born . . .  - so far I have not said that to Adah.) 

 It was the flood of 2008.  Living in Mediapolis and having friends living in the bottoms who had evacuated their homes earlier in the week, it was a waiting game.  Would the levy hold?  How bad would it be if it didn't?  All kinds of questions were in my mind.  I hadn't been able to help anyone that week, at all, being overdue with a 3 year old.  I needed to stay home.  As things got serious in my delivery, the levy had not yet broken.  But within a half an hour after I was blessed with a girl, (I was probably still saying, it's a girl, it is really a girl) the nurse came in and told me that the levy in Oakville had just broken.  Isn't that the way life works?  One family is blessed beyond measure and another is devastated at the same time. 

We named her Adah, which means beautiful addition.  She has lived up to that name, daily, for the past 2 years.  Isn't it amazing what God does to your heart when you give it away?  Suddenly that person that you never laid eyes upon, is someone you couldn't imagine living without and you pray that you will never have to learn how.  This has happened to me with Curtis, then Michael, and finally with Adah.  A miracle of love when a family is created. 

Now, watching Adah grow into a 2 year old.  Things change daily.  She doesn't take her brother's stuff.  Adah will let you know when she is not happy.  She is really developing a will, which is great.  I want a child with an opinion, but shaping how she chooses to share her wishes is the challenge.  I hope I figure out how she needs to be led, directed, parented, . . . not controlled. She is really starting to talk a lot, and I think more people are beginning to understand the words she is speaking.  Last week she stopped calling her brother "brother" and started calling him "Michael" actually it sounds more like Bucco, which I think is hysterical.  Is there anything better than a little, bitty 2 year old hollering "Come here Bucco"?  I don't think so.  She loves chocolate.  She chose to eat pizza tonight for her birthday dinner and when given a choice wanted to go to "azio" Mazzios.  She rarely snuggles, but when she does, she tells you that it is time.  She can tell me when her glasses are dirty or crooked and wants them fixed, now.  She will only kiss you on the lips and if you offer her your cheek, she will chase your lips until you give in or there are no kisses. 

There are so many little funny things about this beautiful addition this is just the tip of a long list.  I  know that you have a person in your life, with all the little things that make them too adorable for words.  I don't want to be one of those mothers who thinks that my kids are the cutest, sweetest, most interesting, and smartest in the world, they just are those things to me.  If you ask I will tell you that I am incredibly biased.  :)  I am also blessed to be able to learn all these things and watch my children go from 1 to 2 or 5 to 6.  I just pray that I will always find them fun and interesting. 

1 comment:

BekaKay said...

The first picture, in pink, is her birthday party last year. The 2nd pic of her in white, is at Joy's wedding, nearly 2. Funny how you don't see the changes until you see where they were a year ago.