Monday, April 20, 2009

Shiner




Okay so here is the story:

We traveled to Wisconsin this weekend to visit Curtis's parents and check out the new house (great by the way). We stopped in Madison for dinner and everything was normal. Adah was almost done with dinner, so I said I would stay with her in Culver's (shocking that we would stop there, I know) while she finished and Curtis could go take Scout on a bit of a walk to do what dogs need to do - go to the bathroom. Of course Michael wanted to go with his dad, he is Curtis's shadow. :) No problem I will meet you at the van in a few minutes, we will be in Waupon before dark. That was the plan, funny how plans change.

I was waiting by the van when I got a call from Curtis, "Something terrible has happened", doesn't that strike fear into your heart. I could hear Michael crying and I thought that something had happened to Scout, but Curt told me that Michael was hurt and he didn't know what to do, he told me where they where and Adah and I started moving toward the wails. I thought that it was a normal fall, "Oh buddy, where does it hurt, can I kiss it, do you want me to sing you a song . . . " you know the normal mom stuff. But when I got there, there was no consoling him. Curtis was like, "What do we do?" I told him to take Scout and head to the van and come back to get me and the kiddos. Hoping all the while that Michael would be calm when he returned and I could figure out what had happened. Not the case, Michael just wouldn't calm down, I could see the road rash on his face, but he couldn't stop crying long enough to explain what had happened, so I just held him and waited for Curtis. It didn't take long for him to return, but it was clear that Michael wasn't quite right, his eyes looked glassy or something and he was pale so we decided to head to the emergency room. YIKES!!

In the van I finally got some answers to what had happened, Curtis was picking up the present Scout left on the walk and Michael got tangled in the leash, then Scout (playing with Michael) ran the other way straightening the leash with Michael in it, that flipped him out and head first onto the asphalt. Driving to the ER I was just trying to keep him awake, somewhere someone told me that you aren't supposed to let head injury people go to sleep, and I didn't, but it was a fight. He just continued to cry and then he would say things like "I just can't take it" breaking my heart. I could almost see his eye swelling shut. Adah was just stunned silent through the whole ride. When we arrived at the ER I took Michael in while Curtis parked, there was no one else in there, amazingly enough. I think it was a God thing, to save my sanity and Curtis's hurting heart. They took him right in and after doing his vitals and getting an idea of what had happened, they let him fall asleep on my chest while he played with my hair and I sang to him.

Fairly quickly they decided a cat scan was the next course of action to ensure no big problems. He completely freaked out at the idea of having his "picture taken in a space ship". Not sure why we do that kind of thing to our children. I don't know that I want to have my picture taken in a space ship. After several excruciating minutes trying to get that "picture" taken, we decided a sedative was a great idea. A little good stuff and 5 minutes later, a completely different visit to the cat scan. We were given our results that night, everything looked okay just watch him and if anything is weird take him to the doctor and get him checked out again.

Finally we arrived in Waupon after midnight, tired and ready to drop. Michael woke up around 6:00 and needed to go to the bathroom, having no idea what he would look like. I asked if he remembered anything from the night before and he said "I got tangled up with Scout and fell, but I didn't want to get my picture taken, that was a scary space ship." Good to know he remembered. He was so funny/shocked when he was himself in the mirror, "My eye, what is going on with my eye, I can't see it." It soaked in and we supplemented with Tylenol when it got achy, but we had a great weekend. The eye was puffy and scary looking, but he played and acted normal. We were out of the woods, everything was okay, this was just a really exciting story to tell and as you can imagine, everyone has asked.

So today was a pretty normal day, he didn't seem in much pain and we are seeing more and more of his eye, the swelling has really gone down. Then tonight around 6, before Curtis was home from work, a sheriff's deputy shows up at our door. I was a little worried as I answered the door and then he asked for Curtis, I told him he wasn't home yet. He asked who I was and I told him I was Rebekah, Curtis's wife. He then gave me an urgent message from the hospital in Madison Wisconsin. Curtis needed to call them right away about his 4 year old son. So now I am freaking out. I called Curtis and he called the hospital immediately. They told us to take Michael directly to the ER and have another cat scan, they had re-examined the scan from Friday and thought there may be a small bleed in his brain and a possible orbital fracture. Why I ask, didn't they call us instead of sending a deputy to my house with no info to freak me out. Not to complain or anything, but really, do you know the thoughts that were running through my brain.

Off to the ER again, this time we were able to get Michael to do the cat scan without medication, it took some talking and a promise of Perky Bear Pancakes at Perkins afterward, but he did it. So now the results, no brain bleed, THANK YOU LORD!! but he does have an orbital (eye socket) fracture. So tomorrow we call the ENT and get Michael checked out by him to determine if surgery is needed. The ER doctor thought it was unlikely but with all the swelling it is hard to know for sure. We will know soon, but the prayer is no surgery.

Long story long (I was about to say short, but really this is long, really long, it is late and I ramble - sorry) we have met our deductible already this year.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

So sorry that you had to go through all of this! I just hate it all! I am so proud of you and Curtis, and of course of Michael as well. What a kid. :) I love him so....

hilary.jones.smith said...

Wow, what a weekend! And, how scary to have a police officer show up at your door telling you to call the hospital...craziness!Michael looks like he's handling the whole thing like a little trooper. Am praying he will not need surgery.

buttercup said...

WOW and I thought stitches were traumatic.... we will be praying