Thursday, August 5, 2010

Baby Shower :)

Today at camp I was blessed to be able to attend a baby shower of a dear friend, Sarah.  We go way back, she was in my cabin when I was a counselor here, many moons ago.  Now she and her sweet hubby work at MY camp East Iowa Bible Camp with my sweet sister Sarah and her hubby.  What a blessing all children are, but it seems like you acknowledge the miracle more when it is a long wished and prayed for child, like this little girl is.  We can't wait to meet you and tell you stories of your parents enduring faith, hope, and love for the miracle of you.  See you in September :)

So, today we had to give some mom advice to Sarah as she begins to embark on this life altering journey of enlarging her family.  This activity has made me think a bit about some of my mom advice.  So when I begin to reflect and have the time to actually do it, I sit down and do this, blog a bit. 

1) Find a way to celebrate each child's person - both the stuff you love as well as the stuff that takes some adjusting to.  Strengths are show even in bad behavior or just the stuff that you don't get that may drive you crazy.
2) Do something that lets the child know that they create joy in you - just by being themselves.
3) Realize that you get to grow with your child, and praise God that they aren't born with a long memory or the ability to tell all your beginner's mistakes.  There is a learning curve.  Enjoy the time of learning.
4) Begin to practice hard and uncomfortable conversations, before they can talk back.  I started talking about what is private and who should be touching it with Michael as a baby, so I could get past my nerves and weirdness before he could ask me any questions or remember how I goofed it up.
5) Laugh a lot and remember whether you laugh or cry you still have to clean up the mess.  The laughing makes it easier. 
6) Find a way to say "I Love You" so that they hear it even when you don't say the words. 
7) Enjoy this time.  It is short, too short. 

I hope that you will find the joy (there will still be rotten days, but as a whole) in motherhood that I have found and that I saw in my mom.  I knew that she loved me and loved being my mom, because she said it or showed it nearly every day of my life.  That is a power that is unmet by any superhero, TMZ character, politician, or power broker.  It is the power of a God loving parent who can bless their child with the unconditional love they need to grow, fall, thrive, fail, and succeed.  I pray that one day even after all my mess ups my kids will say, "Mom was many things, some good, some crazy, and some that I don't want to be, but she was a person with great love for me."  Today I pray that will be your story as well. 

God bless you Sarah and Tyson and your growing family.  I pray for an uneventful birth and a healthy child and many years to hold your entire family close. 

No comments: